Friday, January 17, 2014

What's in a Name?

Names are important. People make assumptions based on a person's name. Take my name, Theresa. We have all heard of a certain saintly woman who lived in the slums of Calcutta, caring for the poor and dying. Well this saintly woman stole my name. Well kind of, she doesn't spell it correctly. Hers doesn't have an "h" in it, which we all know is the proper way to spell it. Regardless of this spelling variation, however, I still earned the nickname, "Mother Teresa" by my friends. Some people don't like their childhood nicknames. I hate mine.

What can I say? It's Mother Teresa.


When I got older and longed for male company the association with this sainted woman hindered me further. After all, not only does the name Theresa conjure up images of slums of Calcutta, but it's kinda nerdy. I wasn't a Megan, Jennifer or Stephanie. I was Theresa. The image of saintliness at my high school. Now before you all think I'm exaggerating this point, my husband Joe, who wanted to study for the priesthood before he met me, found my name absolutely appealing. He said, "when I met you I thought your name sounded so holy. It was wonderful."

So, yes, in the end my name helped snag the man I decided to marry. However, this proves my point that names are important. If they could make or break your social life. They can sink your business. This is why my business still doesn't have a name. I was actually thinking of calling it, "The Business with No Name," you know just like the song with the horse with no name. However, I think that's a little to vague and mysterious for a company that sells essential oils and personal care products.

I've tried in vain to find something catchy, tasteful and will tell people instantly what kinds of products I carry. At first I really liked the name, "Essentially Yours," but it has already been claimed. Next I thought of, "Ma Ma Theresa's Essential Oils and Personal Care Products." I liked it, but as the guy who waxes my eyebrows said, "Doesn't sound kind of matronly, as in old?" He's right. I don't want to sound like someones grandma. After all, I'm only 34. So what do you guys think? Any suggestions, comments or random Mother Teresa jokes?

No comments:

Post a Comment